Protect America Review
Protect America isn’t exactly the new kid on the block, but they are still experiencing a robust growth period and slowly becoming more well known. In business since 1992, this company bears some similarities to Frontpoint in that it provides equipment for a DIY setup, plus various monitoring options and smart home capabilities. What it doesn’t offer is a hefty price tag for getting started – that’s right, basic equipment comes free with your three-year contract. It’s not all roses and sunshine with this home security company, but they do offer some attractive advantages.
- Free base equipment
- Locked-in rate
- Lifetime equipment warranty
- Ability to perform a takeover of existing equipment and convert it to Protect America monitoring
- Less expensive monthly rates than many major competitors
- Portability – easy to take with you if you move
- Completely wireless
- While there is a $19.99/month landline plan, rates are comparable to other companies once you get into more comprehensive packages
- No free trial
- Mobile app has gotten spotty ratings, with numerous complaints of significant downtime
- Large number of plans with somewhat confusing pricing options
Packages and Services Offered
Protect America offers a wide range of packages, designated as Copper to Platinum. Having five plans gives you a good selection of options, however it can also mean that the company is charging extra for each and every little extra as you go up in tiers.
|Yard Sign and Window Decals||yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Simon XT Control Panel||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Carbon Monoxide Sensors||Add-On||Add-On||Add-On||Add-On||Add-On|
|Panic Alarm Remote||Add-On||Add-On||Add-On||Add-On||Add-On|
Cost of Protect America Monitoring
- Landline – $19.99
- Broadband & Cellular – $41.99 (includes interactive features)
- Landline – $35.99
- Broadband & Cellular – $47.99 (includes interactive features)
- Landline – $37.99
- Broadband & Cellular – $49.99 (includes interactive features)
- Landline – $39.99
- Broadband & Cellular – $51.99 (includes interactive features)
- Landline – $42.99
- Broadband & Cellular – $54.99 (includes interactive features)
Other Equipment and Services
Protect America offers a range of optional equipment and services at an extra charge. Aside from the typical devices such as video surveillance cameras, smoke and CO detectors and a medical panic alarm, you can also get a Z-Wave automated door lock, Z-Wave appliance module – both of which operate through the mobile app – and even a vehicle GPS and driveway alert device. Fire and smoke monitoring, and video surveillance, each run an additional $9.99/month.
Because the mobile app and Protect America equipment utilizes Z-Wave technology, you can perform a number of home automation tasks even for devices that you don’t obtain through the company. Turn lights on and off, control your appliances, and arm or disarm your alarm all remotely.
In a Nutshell
Protect America has built a reputable foundation over the 20+ years it’s been in business. With free equipment, the packages are attractive, but the monthly service costs can quickly add up if you want the most reliable monitoring methods like broadband or cellular.
Portability makes this company a draw for renters, who might not otherwise be able to install a good home security system, and you can take it when you move with no problem. Peel and stick installation makes the setup simple, and the low-cost landline package is a great option for those who don’t want any bells and whistles.
The mobile app has been a problem in the past, although recent updates are rumored to have fixed some of the major issues. Overall this is a solid choice for those who don’t mind the self-install, and don’t want to put hundreds down on equipment, yet desire all the essential services like 24-hour burglar monitoring, fire and smoke detection, and medical emergency capabilities.