Protection One Review
Protection 1 has been in business for over 26 years, and enjoys a customer base of almost two million, with 70 full-service branches all over the United States. Originally a business security specialist, the company has expanded to include residential accounts as well as integrated systems. They maintain an A+ better Business Bureau rating and pride themselves on their attention to customer service.
They have no glaring, consistent issues that come to light in online feedback posted by customers, and offer a fairly typical suite of basic and expanded monitoring and home automation components and services. As always, you must take the pros and cons into consideration before committing.
- Solid reputation and respectable length of time in the industry
- Professional installation with good reputation
- Pricing comparable to competitors
- Techs are highly trained and background checked
- Up to $1,000 reimbursement on your home insurance deductible in the event of a burglary
- 14-day return policy (with restocking fee)
- 24-hour customer support – not outsourced, and comes with a guarantee that your call will be answered within 20 seconds
- Startup costs that some consider a little high
- Promotions that sometimes require you to sign a longer contract
- Recent adoption of door-to-door sales tactics, which some feel will lower the reputation and quality of the company
Security Equipment Overview
Like many of the top alarm companies, Protection One uses the following brands for their security equipment: Honeywell, GE, and 2Gig. These brands produce some of the highest quality security equipment products and have a reputation for being reliable and easy-to-use.
Protection One offers four different plans to choose from (Secure, Secure+, Smart Control, and Video). Here’s a comparison table of what’s included in each of their 4 plans.
|Features||Secure||Secure +||Smart Control||Video|
|Temp. & Flood Detection||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Carbon Monoxide Protection||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Camera Motion Detector||Yes||Yes|
|Web & Mobile Control||Yes||Yes|
|Energy and Home Automation||Yes||Yes|
Secure Plan ($34.99/mo)
- Intrusion protection
- Fire and CO2 protection
- Environmental and life safety
- Color touchscreen control panel
- Three door/window sensors
- One motion sensor
- One key fob
- One yard sign and three window decals
- Battery backup
- Five-day weather forecast (this assist in predicting the temperatures that the house will need to be kept at)
- Advanced Protection Logic (aka crash and smash)
Secure + ($44.99/mo)
- Everything above, plus 2-way voice and cellular communication
- No landline required
Smart Control ($49.99/mo)
- All of the above
- Mobile and web control
- Email/text alerts
- Image motion sensor (takes a photograph when motion is detected)
- Geo-fencing (allows you to set up a “circle” – if you exit or enter this area, whatever actions you’ve programmed will occur – for example, turning off the lights when you leave the geo-fence around your home)
- Thermostat automation
- Lock automation
- Light and appliance automation
- All of the above
- Mobile or web access to video surveillance
- Indoor, night-vision video camera
It’s important to note that the additional equipment required for the Smart Control and Video packages is not included in the plan’s price. These items, such as the smart thermostat and appliance module, must be purchased separately.
Naturally there are plenty of add-on options. You can choose from CO2 or fire detectors, a garage door controller, glass break sensor, emergency button, freeze sensor, outdoor camera, remote door lock, wireless doorbell, and more. There may be additional fees for installing or activating this equipment.
In a Nutshell
Protection 1 is like that comfy blanket that’s softened up to the perfect texture. It’s not the softest or most luxurious blanket in the world, but it’s preferable to the scratchy, crispy new one because it’s familiar and reliable. Protection 1 has been around long enough to know what they’re doing, their suite of services is robust enough without being over the top, and their installation is dependable and high quality. And, of course, with outstanding customer service you can never go wrong.
Unless you’re looking to take a chance on a newcomer or purchase a DIY kit and install it yourself, Protection 1 likely has everything you could possibly need at a price that is consistent with the market. Plus they’ve got unusually stellar customer service practices, which as anyone who’s waited an hour on the phone just to talk to a real human being knows, that alone is worth the price of admission.